Affirmed by the General Branch of the Union, we want,
The Prioritization Education Spending
Immediate Repeal of Measure 5 and 11
- End existing Caps on Property Taxes
- Community Control and allocation over School Funds
- No Youth Behind Bars. End minimum sentencing for Youth tried as adults. We want Less Prisons and More Schools.
An all-inclusive democracy of students, parents, teachers and other educators to control their own work and education.
- Student – Worker Councils devising curriculum and running the school day collectively. Directly Democratic, Non Hierarchical and Nondiscriminatory. The Student Unions are such councils in the making.
The Emphasizing of a holistic educational structure and evaluation, while De-emphasizing standardized testing.
- Immediate Repeal of Senate Bill 290
- Implementation of a flexible curriculum in classroom, De-emphasizing textbook work for hands on work i.e. learning by doing.
- De-emphasize College as the only gateway to success, refocusing of Public education as a developing point in life, particularly in High School.
- We want good schools and teachers. We want an evaluation system that really speaks to a teacher’s potentials and habits: good and bad. To this we suggest a system of student-parent and other involved educators coming together in evaluation, rather than abstract testing.
Creation of Equal Opportunity in Schools
- Elimination of artificial prejudices and distinctions in Gender and Race.
- Creation of Gender Neutral Bathrooms
- Recognition of the material realities – namely poverty – effecting educational performance and their relationship to race.
- We want an expansion of support systems for students struggling in class, mid-level Classes for student with satisfactory performance and opportunities for students exceeding in their performance to continue. Allocation of greater resources to poorer performing schools.
The creation of a positive image of youth and a support system for youth at risk (from bullying, discrimination, family, jail, etc.)
- Reversal of renown cultural image of youth as careless, ignorant and reckless.
- Creation of a culture of acceptance and cooperation over social competition in schools.
- Immediate creation of Preventive Institutions for those at risk of Mental Health issues.